Learn to Groom
Learn to Groom – Work/Study Apprentice Program
The Swanky Paws Work/Study Grooming Apprentice Program is a paid apprenticeship during which team members are taught the artistry and technical expertise required to be a professional dog groomer. Our groomers value quality work, safety, and kindness as the cornerstones of their craft.
Do you love animals?
Would you like to learn a valuable skill that can become a rewarding career?
Would you like to work in an inclusive, team atmosphere while learning a trade that you will love?
The Swanky Paws Pet Spa Work Study Grooming Apprentice Program may be for you!
- Hands on Dog Grooming beginning on your first day
- Hands on bathing training
- Proper brushing and drying techniques
- Canine skin and coat care
- Proper and safe pet handling and control
- Pet, groomer and client safety practices
- Hands on Pet Grooming with shears, clippers, and attachment combs
- Tool handling and techniques
- Canine anatomy and conformation
- Tool use, proper procedures and maintenance
- Recognizing common pet health concerns
- Professional pet grooming products and definitions
- Dog breed identification
- Dog groomer vocabulary
- Proper reporting and record keeping
- Common veterinary vocabulary
- Customer service principals
- Marketing yourself- how to get noticed
- Hands-on Dog Grooming experience starting on your 1st day
- 3-5 hours per week of intensive, one-on-one training
- 25-40 hours per week of paid training, practice, work study, and hands-on experience
- 20-40 hours per month of guided self-study with corrections and discussion with your instructor
- Online training from top respected industry professionals
- Use of all necessary tools during the duration of your training
- Books, study materials, and binder for the duration of your training
- Suggested tools list
- Required reading list
- Paid Certification and Continuing education opportunities
- References and job placement assistance upon request
- TIME: 3-5 full days a week time commitment from you. The salon is open 6 days a week. You must be able to commit to hands-on, in-salon work study, just like any other job or training course.
- MOTIVATION: You must be a self-starter. Teaching takes an immense amount of time. If we are to dedicate this time to you, you must be willing to work hard. Much of the self-study will be on line. You must have a reliable phone and internet access in order to properly communicate with your team, your instructors, and to complete the self-study portion of the course.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Grooming is not a career for the faint-of-heart. Grooming requires passion and hard work. This is a physically, mentally and emotionally demanding job. Pets count on us to be there and we must deliver. As a Grooming Apprentice you will work a regular schedule with many hours devoted to training and practice of learned skills. We expect our team to be on time, dependable, consistent, and professional.
- DEDICATION: Your training takes as long as you need. Most people will be able to complete course requirements in about 6-12 months. If you need more time, that is fine, you can continue until you and your instructors are confident in your abilities. You will start as a bather, move to bather/finisher, then to grooming assistant, junior groomer, and finally to Groomer. As your skills and knowledge increase, so will the difficulty level and demands of your job. Your instructors will let you know when you are ready to move on.
- COST: $0. WE PAY YOU! This is a paid, hourly position. We are a legal W2 employer, and we provide all the tools and equipment that you will need during your training. A certificate will be issued with successful course completion, as well as job placement assistance.
Come join our team and begin your career in the pet industry! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org today!